Monday, February 1, 2016

Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard (Spoilers!)

(This review contains spoilers! You have been warned.)

    Mare Barrow is of Red blood, stealing to help feed her family, and on the edge of military conscription. Her world is ruled by the Silvers, people with otherworldly abilities who lord their power over those who have none. When Mare bumps into a handsome stranger one night as she fights to escape the impending draft, she finds herself swept away into a world of Silver affairs – two princes, both enchanting in their own right, a ruthless king, and her own magic powers that shouldn’t be possible by any means.

Picture courtesy of EpicReads.
    Mare’s journey is heart wrenching, to say the least. In the beginning, I had trouble connecting with her. I couldn’t find a deep connection that made me care until chapter Twenty-Six! But that aside, the novel is wonderfully written. Aveyard’s prose is beautiful, and it sucks you into a very rich world.
     I found myself wanting more about Julian (which thankfully you get in the Cruel Crown novella), and totally wanting to punch Maven in the face. If you ask me, the mark of a talented author is how deplorable their villains are. I didn’t even suspect him for a second! Call me naïve, but I thought he was genuinely involved in the Scarlet Guard.
     I bought this book because of the hype that cropped up in the YA community. I started reading it again because everyone in my literacy class was raving about it. I was prepared to be disappointed, and give a 3-star review, up until chapter Twenty-Six, which won me over to another star.


Character development: 3/5

                It just took me so long to love Mare! Maybe it was me, but she just seemed… I don’t know – too bland? But Cal and Maven were excellently done. And Farley! Oh, Farley.

World building: 4.5/5

                Again, I loved this aspect. I felt like I could have been in the Stilts with Mare and Kilorn. And the Silver cities were just something else.

Swoon-worthy-ness: 4/5

                Because Mare + Cal = yes. ;)

Overall: 4/5

                I’ll hopefully go back and reread at some future point in which I am blessed with an abundance of free time. In the meanwhile, I have Cruel Crown, and Glass Sword is coming very soon!

Best quote: “Many things led to this day, for all of us. A forgotten son, a vengeful mother, a brother with a long shadow, a strange mutation. Together, they’ve written a tragedy.” pg. 355, US Hardback.  

No comments:

Post a Comment